Minor in Statistics
The Department offers a minor program in Statistics that consists of five upper division level courses focusing on the fundamentals of mathematical statistics and of the most widely used applied statistical methods.
The minor is designed to provide students in other disciplines with opportunities for exposure and skill development in advanced statistical methods. These methods are useful for conducting research in applied subjects, and they are appealing to employees and graduate schools seeking students with quantitative skills. The minor is flexible, so that students from most majors can find a path to the minor that serves their needs.
- Statistics 13 or 32 or 100.
- Please note that the courses below have additional prerequisites. Some level of calculus is usually required.
Minor Requirements (20 units)
- STA 106 Analysis of Variance
- STA 108 Regression Analysis
- STA 130A-B Mathematical Statistics: Brief Course Or STA 131A-B Introduction to Probability Theory and Mathematical Statistics
One course from:
- STA 101 Advanced Applied Statistics for the Biological Sciences (~New Course~)
- STA 104 Nonparametric Statistics
- STA 135 Multivariate Data Analysis
- STA 137 Applied time Series Analysis
- STA 138 Analysis of Categorical Data
- STA 141A Fundamentals of Statistical Data Science (formerly called STA 141)
- STA 144 Sampling Theory of Surveys
- STA 145 Bayesian Statistical Inference
To request certification of a minor, you must have a grade point average of 2.0 in all courses required for the minor. At most, one course used in satisfaction of your minor may be applied to your major. If you elect more than one minor, these minors may not have any courses in common. Please check our Frequently Asked Questions page if you have any questions.
If you want to have completion of a minor certified on your transcript, you must submit an online Minor Declaration Form by the 10th day of instruction of the quarter that you are graduating. Please be sure to check the minor declaration deadline with your College. The deadline to file your minor petition may vary by College.