Frequently Asked Questions

How do I declare statistics as my major?

You can declare a statistics major at any time after your first quarter. However, it is recommended that you have taken some of the preparatory courses prior to declaring. Meet with the major advisor to discuss your interest and submit an online Change of Major Form and an academic plan to be officially declared as a statistics major.

How do I add statistics as my second major?

Submit an online Change of Major Form and an academic plan to be considered as a double major. At the time of petition, 75% of the preparatory courses for each major must be complete.  Please note that some departments have additional requirements as well.

Also, for each major, 80% of the upper-division units must be unique.  If the major programs differ in the number of upper division units required, the major program requiring the smaller number of units will be used to compute the minimum number of units that must be unique.  

How do I receive a PTA number for my Statistics course?

To add a statistics course with a restriction or time conflict, students may request a Permission to Add (PTA) number from the instructor.  Once students receive permission, the Undergraduate Program Coordinator will issue them a PTA number.  The student must have written permission (via e-mail, etc.) from the instructor before a PTA number is issued.  PTA numbers will most likely not be issued for these situations if the course has a wait list.  In situations other than a restriction or time conflict, PTA numbers are rarely given and usually not until after the 12th day of instruction.  

Students MAY NOT attend advising to request a PTA number from the Undergrad Program Coordinator directly.  Once you receive permission from your instructor please e-mail to receive your PTA number via e-mail.  The e-mail must include your name, your student ID number, and CRN of the section you would like to add. 

I am interested in becoming an actuary. Is there a degree in actuarial science at UC Davis?

At UC Davis, we don’t offer a program in actuarial science; very few institutions confer such a degree. But having an educational background in statistics, mathematics, or economics provides good preparation for the actuarial profession. Your curriculum should include calculus, linear algebra, probability and statistics, computer science, and economics. For more information, please visit Preparing for an Actuarial Career While in College.  UC Davis has a student run Actuarial Science Association.  They are a wonderful resource for connecting to other students with similar interests.  They also hold regular exam prep courses for the P and FM exams and host several guest speaker events throughout the year.  You can find out more about the Actuarial Science Association here

I am interested in the Applied Statistics option, how can I get courses approved for the non-statistics electives?

Students choosing the Applied Statistics option are required to take upper-division electives in which statistical models and methods are applied. Five upper-division electives are required for the Bachelor of Science (BS) and three upper-division electives are required for the Bachelor of Arts (AB). These courses should be located in one single subject area rather than a random cluster of courses across multiple disciplines. At least three of the five electives for the BS should cover the quantitative aspects of the chosen discipline. For the AB option, all three courses must be quantitative. The electives must be chosen with and approved by the major advisor. The primary areas of applications of statistics from which the electives can be chosen are economics/managerial economics, biological sciences, human development/education, engineering, psychology and sociology. Please start by consulting the list of pre-approved courses for the BS and the pre-approved courses for the AB

How do I petition for a modification to the statistics major course requirements?

We recognize that various reasons, such as course offerings and graduation plans, may affect a student’s normal progression in the program. You may petition to the faculty advisor for a modification to the major course requirements provided that you have a compelling reason. Please fill out the Major Modification Petition. If your petition is approved, return the signed form to the department for proper documentation.

How do I choose and get approval of an elective course to be used to fulfill the statistics major (general option) requirement?

The elective must be an upper-division course that covers the quantitative aspects of a discipline.  All electives need to be approved by the major advisor and documented in your record if they are to be used to fulfill the statistics major course requirements.

I am considering graduate school in Statistics, which statistics program option should I choose?

The B.S. (general option) is recommended; and you are particularly recommended to take the MAT 25, 125A-B series. This option combines the study of statistics and mathematics, which provides more advanced theoretical grounding for graduate study in Statistics. However, if your graduate school focus is in other fields, the A.B or the B.S. (Applied or Computational) degree is no less sufficient.

Can I take courses for my Statistics major P/NP?

Courses used for the Statistics major can be taken P/NP.

If you are a double major and are planning to use a course to satisfy another requirement as well, please check if your other major and/or college has P/NP restrictions. In the College of Letters and Science they only have restrictions on how many units can be taken P/NP. You can find out more about their P/NP restrictions here.

Please meet with an adviser before you make the decision to P/NP a major course. There are a number of things to consider when making this decision.

Can I take courses for my Statistics minor P/NP

Courses used for the statistics minor can be taken P/NP.  

Not all courses for the minor can be taken P/NP because you need a minimum 2.00 GPA in all of the classes used for the minor.  

You should also check your college and major requirements to make sure they have no restrictions on taking courses P/NP. 

How do I know if a course at another institution is equivalent to a statistics course at UC Davis?

ASSIST is a comprehensive on-line course articulation system for most California community colleges with University of California. Search ASSIST to see if a lower-division course at a California community college is equivalent to a course at UC Davis.

If you plan to take a statistics course at another UC campus, private institutions, or out-of-state institutions, please submit your equivalency request using this form.  Your course information will be evaluated by faculty and you will be notified of the result via e-mail. 

How do I earn academic credits for special study, independent study, or internship in statistics?

Students who wish to enroll in STA 99X, 98, 99, 190X, 192, 194HA-194HB, 198, 199 must first identify and contact a faculty person whose academic expertise is related to their proposed project. If the faculty person agrees to sponsor the student’s research or special study project, the student and the faculty sponsor together fill out a Course Contract. The course contracts are agreements between faculty and students and serve as written verification of the faculty person’s consent to sponsor the student for academic unit credit.

How do I know if I have completed all the coursework required of my major and therefore I am eligible to receive my degree in Statistics?

Please contact the undergraduate program coordinator to complete a degree check.  You can complete an unofficial check online using the Degree Worksheets on OASIS.  The degree worksheets should not replace seeking verification from the undergraduate program coordinator, the peer adviser, or the faculty adviser.  It is good to check in about the completion of major requirements early and often.  You can find out more about how to contact your advisers here

How do I know if I have met all graduation requirements for a Bachelor's degree?

To be eligible for graduation, an undergraduate student must meet all university, college, and major, and minor (if applicable) requirements. For major requirements, please consult with a major advisor from the department that offers the program. For completion of the university and college requirements please do a degree check with a counselor at the dean's office of your college. For students in the College of Letters and Science you can start with Graduation Requirement Self-Check.   You can also submit an online Degree Check Request Form.  For Statistics students, if you are doing the A.B. degree option, be sure you complete the foreign language requirement. If you are doing the B.S. in Statistics, be sure you complete 90 units in Natural Science and Mathematics as the B.S. Area Breadth requirement. Please note if your electives for the Applied Statistics track are in economics or social-science related disciplines, you may need to take more science classes to fulfill the B.S. breadth requirement. The list of approved courses in Natural Science and Mathematics is in the UC Davis General Catalog. For additional advice please consult with a counselor at the Dean's Office. 

How can I find internship or employment opportunities?

The Internship and Career Center would be your first resource on campus. Register at their website to receive updates about job listings, upcoming career fairs, and recruitment fairs. You can also schedule an appointment to meet a career counselor to explore your career options. Broaden your internship and job search by focusing on the skills and qualifications the companies and organizations are looking for, rather than the specific job titles. The Department of Statistics website also has both Statistics Career Resources and Internship pages. You should also network with your peers and professors in the department - you would be surprised at the great insights you may gain from these relationships.