Undergraduate Peer Adviser
The Statistics Department employs an undergraduate student as the Academic Peer Adviser for the statistics majors on an annual basis.
Primary Function and Tasks:
- providing general information to prospective and current statistics majors on department, college, and university degree requirements
- offering peer advice on course selections, program schedules in order to assist students in making satisfactory progress towards degree attainment
- offering encouragement and advice in times of personal crisis
- referring students to other campus academic and student services
- marketing and publicizing department programs and educational options (such as IDP, RTG, and other clubs, research, and internships)
- assisting in the planning, coordination, and evaluation of department events and programs (such as Decision Day, Career Nights, etc.)
- providing the department with feedback on courses and programs from an undergraduate student perspective
- helping strengthen the statistics undergraduate students community and acting as a liaison between the student population and the department faculty
- a declared statistics major
- a minimum of GPA of 2.5 (3.0 and above preferred)
- sophomore class standing or higher
- be able to communicate effectively
- previous advising or related experiences preferred
- familiarity with student services at UC Davis preferred
- experience in program planning and marketing preferred
- skills in design and publishing software preferred
As a peer adviser, you are required to participate in a 4 unit peer adviser training class the Spring Quarter before you officially begin the position the following academic year. You will be working an average of 10 hours a week with set office hours. You will be paid at the rate of $9.50 per hour – the current pay rate for student assistant III. You can hold both the peer advisor position and statistics course reader position concurrently if qualified.
The statistics department is committed to supporting our undergraduate majors and growing the undergraduate program. As a peer adviser, you will be part of the team that works toward that goal!
To apply, submit an on-line job application via Aggie Job Link. We accept applications Winter Quarter for the position starting Fall Quarter the next academic year. For more information, please inquire with the Undergraduate Program Coordinator (email@example.com) or talk to the current peer adviser about their experience.